Curious about the state of New TLDs or just learning about them for the first time? Here’s a rundown of everything you need to know about the status of the New TLD Program. Before we get started, here are current New TLD stats courtesy of ICANN:
1,930 TLD applications submitted
1,833 applications are in process with ICANN
877 applications with objections
Last Week's Historic Moment
Another major milestone on the road to New TLDs was hit this past week. At ICANN 47 in Dubai, the first registry agreements were signed by four New TLD applicants with approved applications for new IDN TLDs. This is a big deal because signing a registry agreement is one of the last steps before the launch of these Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs).
Now that the first agreements have been signed, more TLDs that have completed evaluation will sign in the order their applications were considered, based on the prioritization draw numbers they received late last year.
Upcoming New TLDs Milestones
While these first four TLDs have only a couple steps to go before their TLDs can go live, many other TLDs still have a long way before they can make it official. Here’s a breakdown of the nine milestones each TLD must pass on the road to launch:
1. TLD Applications Filed - Completed April 2012
2. TLD Applications Revealed - Completed June 2012
3. Application Prioritization Draw - Completed December 2012
4. Objection Period - Completed March 2013
5. Initial Evaluations - In Process
6. Contention & Objection Resolution - In Process
7. ICANN Registry Contracts Signed - In Process
8. Pre-delegation Testing - In Process
9. Go Live - IDNs est. to go live Q4-2013
See our earlier posts for more information about previous milestones.
Check out the updated ICANN New TLD Timeline
Ready to get your domains? Start a New TLDs Watchlist.
Want to make New TLDs part of your business? Learn more about our New TLDs reseller programs.